вторник, 24 июня 2014 г.

Interior Styling Wishlist… Herringbone Parquet Floors

Interior Styling Wishlist… Herringbone Parquet Floors

I’ve lived in a few different houses throughout my life, but the one place I always consider home, is the house that my grandparents bought in the 1960′s, where my mum lives today. I always had the sense growing up that it felt different to typical grandparents homes and it was only as an adult that I realised how cutting edge it was for the time, designed in Canada in midcentury modern style. This period in interiors is still one of my favourites, so living there certainly had an influence on my own personal style and taste. One of my favourite details in the house (which was recently uncovered after years of hiding under a carpet!) is the herringbone parquet flooring in the hallway and is something I would love to be able to have in my own home someday.


herring-bone-parquet-floor

Parquet floors are created from blocks of wood cut into geometrical patterns, one of the most popular (and my favourite) being the herringbone pattern. It was first invented in France in the 17th century when they were introduced to Versaille to replace the less practical marble flooring that needed more maintenance. Over time wealthy french families would showcase complex patterns as art in their homes.


parquet-floor-wishlist-interior

wood-floor-parquet-interiors

Parquet is most common in hallways and living areas but judging by the gorgeous images below it would equally work well in a kitchen. To keep them looking their best the area should be gently swept rather than hoovered, and for older parquet floors, a wax treatment should be applied once a year. They’re certainly not the most low maintenance flooring, but they have to be one of the most beautiful!


kitchen-parquet-interiors-wood-floor

parquet-floor-wwod-herringbone-interior-styling

parquet-floor-interior-hallway

parquet-dining-room-floor

There’s something so lovely about taking something practical like a floor, that people walk on everyday and probably don’t think about too much and making it into a little bit of art. I suppose that’s design at its best, practical and beautiful! I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to own a bit of herringbone parquet of my own, but seeing as I’m dreaming I’d probably throw in floor to ceiling windows and those crisp white walls that seem to suit it so well. Are any of you lucky enough to have parquet floors in your home? How have you decorated the space?


Image credits: Line Klein via Dustjacket Attic | via Room for Tuesday | via Planete Deco | Danielle Witte via Design Shimmer | Andrew Cammarano via Design Sponge | via This is Glamorous | via cococozy | via blood and champagne


  • Share this:

Original article and pictures take styleserendipity.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий